Monday, August 30, 2010

Habari (Hello)


Habari from Kenya! How are you guys doing? It is so good to hear back from those of you who respond. I love checking my email and finding messages, it really helps me to keep going, please keep them coming!

This week I did all sorts of things, most recently being becoming a live jungle gym! Most of the girls arrived back from their holiday break today, and as soon as the little ones saw me I had tiny bodies jumping all over me! It was definitely the joy of my week to be able to welcome them back to their home. Today I also had the blessing of going with a dozen of the olden girls to the Vincential House of Prayer for a day of prayer and healing. It began at 9am with many praise songs, a few talks, the rosary, adoration and ending with mass before we came home for dinner. There were more than 500 other people there, and it was incredible to be able to pray with all of them. Their music and excitement to praise God is an incredible testimony of their unwavering faith through difficult circumstances. I am so thankful I was able to go with the girls and better understand their culture of faith here. (See photo with girls!)

So many of you are wondering what my day looks like. And it is very different everyday since the girls are not in school. But my day typically begins at 7:30 when I wake up to have some time to myself before the rest of the staff arrives at 8:30. I brought a work out video called INSANITY here, so I make time to do it in the mornings, it’s a great way to start the day, and it’s crazy intense! It is the most consistency I have throughout the whole day, so I like having something to depend on each morning, Shaun T (the instructor) is becoming my closest friend over here!

In the mornings the older girls either go to school for extra tuition or they study and do chores while I help the mums prep lunch and dinner in the kitchen or do office work that needs to be done. I enjoy sitting with the mums and talking to them, they are so curious about America and I am curious about Kenya so we share with each other. I love breaking the Hollywood stereotype of America they have! But Mum Julianne was shocked when I told her we have machines that dry our clothes for us in an hour, rather than hanging them to dry!
In the afternoon we usually play cards or games outsides, or finish preparations for dinner. When we play cards they make up card games but call them names that I know, for example: they told me we were playing poker (and I don’t know much about poker) but this game had nothing to do with the poker I am familiar with! It is quite confusing and they just laugh at me most of the time!

I still have a lot of free time being here, which I am still getting used to. I thought I would be doing much more than I am, but I am slowly finding that the work I am doing is helpful and necessary. Simply being an example of hope for the girls is all they are asking of me here. I have been able to talk with many of the girls about what their lives would be like outside of Hekima Place, many of which would be on the streets without education or a future. These girls are incredibly beautiful because they have great dreams of a future now, and entrust it all to God. They lead much more difficult lives, with many more burdens than I ever will, but they are so faithful through it all. I am inspired by their dedication and love.

Thank you again to everyone has aided in my ability to be here, I am very appreciative to have this opportunity. It is not always easy and fun, I find myself struggling each day, but it is something that is shaping me forever into who I am to become. I have been reading St. Therese of Lisieux’s autobiography The Story of a Soul and she spoke my heart so clearly when she said, “Such is my nature that fear only keeps me back, while under the sway of love I not only advance- I fly.” Know that you are in my prayers each day, please continue to pray for me that I may give all my love each day to the people I meet and not be held back by my own fears.

All my love, Christie

1 comment:

  1. amazing journey Christie! Your spirituality is truely shining! xox

    ReplyDelete