Sunday, September 12, 2010

jack of all traits



So this week I was busy doing many different things (hense the lack of communication). 2 things specifically stick out for me to share (good for you i won't share it all!)

We had many visitors in town this week for the dedication of the new land Hekima is building on and hopefully moving to in December. It was quite refreshing to have some Americans around as this is going on my 4th week and it is a bit lonely without anyone here. With the visitors around, I specifically noticed how different my diet is from what other people are used to back home! I realized that during the day I usually eat about 5 pieces of bread, cereal, rice, and if I can muster them down a few beans! In order to have energy to keep going I eat peanut butter virtually at every meal as well! With the visitors in town I varied my diet more with a grilled cheese here and there, it was great treat. Tonight was another great treat, one of the visitors made us homemade Italian pasta and meat sauce ! Ohh it had flavor and was so delicious! He also brought ice cream to make sundaes. I am sooooo satisfied right now! I’m sure you don’t care that much about my diet, but found it pretty funny. I’m glad do not have a phobia of carbs! In fact, I am coming to love dry cornflakes!

This week I also took a few of the boarding school girls back to school. We drove 2 ½ hours in one direction through the beautiful tea and coffee plantations. We also went through the Embassy town where many of the embassy’s have relocated since the bombing in 1998. Me, being a typical American, stuck my camera out the window to take a picture of the US Embassy, not even noticing the enormous sign saying DO NOT take pictures. The guards gave me some pretty harsh looks but luckily didn’t approach the car and take my camera! Taking the girls back to school was startling for me. They always tell me how strict their schools are but I never realized how true it was. We were 10 minutes late getting them to school due to bad traffic and the school wasn’t going to let them back for this session. Gladys, the Mum I was with had to beg and plea to allow them back. As soon as the girls got out of the van they were totally different girls: no longer laughing or joking, or even talking. They got in line to check in and didn’t greet any of their friends. The administrators were completely rude to them giving them a hard time for being 10 minutes late. It was not the place I would want to go back to, and not a good environment to encourage learning. Education is so important for these girls if they want a future but with that educational support (or lack there of) they are not going to be encouraged or motivated to do well. If these girls have anything lower than an A average they have nearly no chance of going to a University. They could possibly attend a couple but they wouldn’t receive any scholarships or financial help so they wouldn’t be able to go. The girls study way more than anyone I have met in the States, yet the education system is so poor they still don’t do well. It is very frustrating to watch because if their system was improved the country would be able to grow much more due to the increased knowledge of students.

This weekend was busy with the land dedication. It was a beautiful day and celebration, I am glad I was able to be apart of it to meet so many supporters and family members of Hekima (all the girls are trying to marry me off to their brothers, its pretty humorous!) It also marks the end of my time here at Hekima. On Monday afternoon I will travel to the other side of Nairobi to my new home, Mogra Star. I will keep you updated from there!
Peace and love christie
pictures to come soon...ish!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Christie...lots of reflection on the educational state of Africa. We don't realize how well (and loving) we have it here!
    I'm glad you didn't get in trouble for taking those pictures. You are a funny girl! I really enjoy reading your blog! It's the only one I read. St. Mary closed our 150th Anniversary today with a Mass complete with Bishop Lennon,Fr. Ed, Fr. Kevin, Deacon Carl and your friend, FD. I don't want to tell you what we had to eat at the reception (it will make your tummy growl) but it came from Blue Canyon Kitchen. It was a beautiful day here in Ohio. Take our prayers to Mogra Star!
    Love, Dianne Smyth

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be thinking of you while you move on to Mogra Star, Christie! That Dianne, is too cute with her comments! Keep up the GREAT work! ps. I passed on all dinner tonite! too much junk at the football game today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like kenya is awesome, im jealous. it also sounds like you need some green veggies in your life!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely could do not do the all carb diet...haha!

    ReplyDelete